Medical Sonographers don’t need any high education, there is requirement of formal education such as an associate degree or a post secondary certificate.
Many of employers require certification as well associate degree.
Education: – Universities and colleges both offers associate’s and bachelors degree program.One year, two year degree programs are available, but these are only useful for those who are already associated in some healthcare jobs. And all employers prefer certification and degree from the accredited institute, because accredited institute usually follows some specific courses of study including some clinical training. Most of the programs are divided into the specialized area and that corresponds to the certification exams.
Some of the Sonographers graduate with the radiologist technology degree and after that they get their job training. High schools students take courses in anatomy, physiology, mathematics.
Licenses: – Most of the employer prefers those employees who have certification and licenses. Sonographers can easily get their certification by an accredited institute some exams relate to the specialty that the student is interested. According to the working area Sonographers can get the certificate like certificate in abdominal, etc. Some states require licensed Sonographers and for license certification is must.
Requirements can change according to the state, and Sonographers must take continuing his or her education to keep the certification update.
Other Qualities :-
• Detail oriented:- Sonographers must follow precise instruction to obtain specific images that needed to diagnose and analyze the problem. They must pay attention on the screen while scanning of patient’s body.
• Hand eye co-ordination:- Co-ordination is must to get the quality images. Because according to the screen image Sonographers have to move the equipment on patient’s body.
• Interpersonal skills:- Interpersonal skills are very important for Sonographers, because sometimes medical Sonographers must work closely with the patients, and patients may be in mental stage, suffering from very much pain. So the co-operation is must from Sonographers.
• Stamina:- Stamina is very important because medical Sonographers have to work on their feet for long time.
• Communication and Technical skills:- Medical Sonographers must understand the technical terms, how to operate the equipment and machinery.